Monday, April 26, 2010

Yum

I made rice pudding this weekend. It's one of those comfort foods we only got on the occasion as children. I don't know what made me think of it, except I had left over rice from the Brazilian fish dinner I made the night before.

I rarely follow directions unless I agree that the recipe maker had the best outcome. So, I tend to change things up. Here, I added cinnamon and vanilla in greater quantities, changed the sugar to brown sugar, lengthened the cook time, and left out the icky raisins. I hate raisins.

Anyway, thought I'd share it with you:

Preheat 325.
In a bowl, mix together:
3 eggs
2 C milk
2 C already cooked rice
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs vanilla

Once well mixed, pour into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with no-stick spray. Cook for 25 minutes. Sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top (the stuff you already put in will have risen to the top, but I like the additional, especially at the edges where the mixed cinnamon pulled away during cooking). Return to oven for another 25 minutes.

A knife tip stuck in the center will pull back custard. This is what you want. Serve up in bowls with some milk or half-n-half, or whipped cream if you are feeling dessert-y.

I hope you like it. By the way, totally great as breakfast with a hot cup of bitter coffee.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I love baked rice pudding without raisins, too! Yum.