Monday, May 3, 2010

Just wondering...

I've posted a few recipes up here and usually get a pretty good response. Since I do a lot of experimental stuff--right now playing with no/low carbs and vegetarian cuisine, do you want me to post things like that, or does it bore you? I'm thinking an occasional post, like once a week or something. Thoughts? Comments?
Here's the newest one I did and love.

Crustless Pizza (adapted)
1 c shredded Italian 4 cheeses
1 c shredded mozzarella
10z thawed, completely drained spinach
1 jar garlic spaghetti sauce
1/2 c egg or egg substitute1/2 onion sliced thinly
2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped1 Tbs fresh basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Red chili to taste (I like the Chinese "dragon" sauce)Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a pizza pan (solid, no holes) with cooking spray.
In a pot saute onion, chopped garlic. When transparent, add the jar of tomato sauce and simmer with oregano and basil and chili sauce. This only needs to heat through.
While that is heating, completely thaw and drain your spinach. I used a potato masher to press and drain it.

In a bowl, combine 1/2 c of the Italian cheeses, the egg beaters, and 1/2 c of the warmed sauce with all the drained spinach. Dump the mixture onto the pizza pan and spread evenly without holes or gaps. See picture one. I found the masher to work really well for this.
After that is spread well into the pan, combine and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the entire surface. The original recipe called for the whole thing to be Italian cheeses but I found it to be too salty. See picture two.
Because my friend is strictly veggie and I'm not, I put pepperoni on one side. Picture three.
The recipe calls for the rest of the sauce to be drizzled over the top of the pizza. I spread mine out and wish I hadn't. I like it, but the presentation suffers. See picture four.Cook for twenty minutes. Remove and let cool for ten minutes. The cooling time allows the pizza to cut well once it's had the rest time. See picture five.

And yeah, it's good.

Let me know if you like this kind of thing. I might decide to add it once a week. I enjoy cooking and tweaking recipes. I eat a lot of low carb type things and really enjoy veggies. That's my trend right now.

So what's the verdict? No food all writing or a combo of stuff?

7 comments:

s7anna said...

Definitely YES to the recipes and food info...I'm always on the look-out to try out new and fun recipes and this looks like it turned out to be really yummy.

So to recap...On with the recipes!

hugs,
Anna
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Unknown said...

Mmmm, I'm gonna have to try this. :)
I'm all for you posting recipes.

Molly Daniels said...

Me too:)

Going to try this without the spinach. I'm a cheese only or sausage gal.

Chris said...

This definitely has potential for we gluten-intolerant! Thanks for the recipe!

J said...

I vote yes for the recipes, especially when you include such detail and step-by-step photos to go with it!

mwv: soine
swan
soire
so am I
swamee

Sandy Jay said...

Definitely keep the recipes! I'm always on the lookout for something interesting.

Mia Watts said...

Awesome! I've already written and scheduled my next one for next monday. It's a variation on a favorite, but no pictures sadly. I wasn't as prepared.

J, shoulda known Italian would bring you out of hiding.