Thursday, May 28, 2009

Grey Lines

Am I the only one who loathes the dialogue on Grey's Anatomy? Has anyone else noticed that it's the same every week for every character?

Meredith and Sheppard.
"Today we're going to get married. We're going to walk down the aisle of a perfectly prepared wedding in a churchy church. Today we're going to get married."
"Today we're going to get married."

Torrez and Arizona
"You took me to a fancy restaurant. I ordered a salad that cost 26 bucks and we had wine. You know what I was doing before they brought the check? I was counting. I was counting because it was going to cost me 75 bucks to order a salad and I don't even like salad. But my dad disowned me and wiped out my bank account. *pause* You took me to a fancy restaurant."

It annoys me to no end that a simple phrase is said. A huge, rushed explanation is provided and it's capped off with the same simple phrase. Like, here's my thought. Here's my definition of the thought. Let's summarize shall we, stupid? Here's my thought again.

The spelling bee of dialogue.

Note to self: "Mia, impose Greyisms into every conversation today just to be dramatic."

8 comments:

Mia Watts said...

And that damn sideways stance. Have you noticed that he never looks at them straight on? EVER? It appears as though he's trying to see over their shoulder, the ground, anywhere else until he finishes his sentence. Then he begins again. Miami also has theme colors, Orange (including shades of gold), and green. In every shot, in every building, in every street awning and it annoys the shit out of me. Besides, CSI don't get into gun fights, or interrogate, or do FBI/NSA type work.

Another one from Greys: Today I begin the rest of my life. Today I'm a man and am responsible as a man. Today I become responsible as a husband..... Today I begin the rest of my life.

All those examples from the same damn episode.

Fran Lee's Romance Blog said...

Haven't the foggiest notion of that which you speak...I haven't watched TV in ten years. I buy movies. I watch videos and play games on my TV. But TV might improve if Mia wrote the damn script. Than I would watch it again.

Ava Rose Johnson said...

LOL Mia, great post and I completely agree.

Unknown said...

Oh boy do I agree.

Julia Barrett said...

I don't watch the show. As a nurse married to a doctor, I detest all medical shows unless they are out and out parodies. And Grey's is nothing more than a nighttime soap. To each his own, I guess.

Rassles said...

Joss Whedon's got the same dialogue styles for lots of characters, but it's a dialogues style I enjoy. So...fuck Greys.

Mia Watts said...

Rassles-Joss Whedon is modern television Shakespeare. There's no comparison.

Julia-Don't blame you! Like cops watching CSI shows.

Fran-As soon as Hollywood comes knocking, I'll answer. Might need to resend them my address.

Amber, Bron, Ava-This is why script writers should ask us to write for them.

Julia Barrett said...

Joss Whedon is genius, pure and simple. Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.