Thursday, January 13, 2011

Things that make you go, huh?

I'm working on two projects right now. One is a third of the way done and not contracted or even pitched to the new house I'm wooing (one of those secret woos). The other is one that I pitched to Resplendence as part of a year long anthology with five other authors. I'm pretty excited about the overall concept.

It's called Phases. As in, Moon Phases. The common thread is that it must be menage, recur around the moon phase for the month, and have shifters. All yummy things. Since each month has it's own full moon, six authors are writing two stories apiece. Mine fall in March and May.

I couldn't resist because March is the Chaste Moon. What better title than, Unchaste. Heh. As soooo many menage sexcapades are. The May book falls on the Hare Moon. Of course one of the shifters will be a Hare. This one I've titled, Horny, Hard, and Hare-y. Because why the hell not?

One book releases every month as we go through this year, creating a twelve book anthology. All the covers are relate-able and sexy as all get out. The first one released yesterday at Resplendence. Cheryl Dragon starts us off with, Taken by the Pack.

Now this is all fantastic and exciting. I'm geeked about the releases and the project as a whole. But as I sat down yesterday to begin Unchaste, I couldn't think of a single thing I had planned to write for this one. Not. One.

I pulled up my cover art request form to see what I'd sent in, hoping I hadn't written a generic one line throw-away plot to begin the scheduling process, when low and behold, I saw a blurb I'd written.

Oh, dear God. What the fuck was I thinking?? Did I ACTUALLY propose a book with time traveling shifters, twin Native Americans, and a culture that died out in the 1300s? For real? I HATE history. There are few periods I actually like to read about. Most of them are in prehistorical times and I still can't get those dates right. A rock is a rock is a rock, ya know?

If I smoked or drank, I'd really question the quality of my stash because I have loin cloths listed (no shit! not one loin cloth, but ohholybabyjesusinamanger TWO loin clothes requested) for the twins who rule their empire. The twins who are seducing a time traveling shifter (red fox) to see how Chaste he is for their *waaaa---aaaiiit for it* HUMAN SACRIFICES!!!!!

*whimper*

So here I sit, researching long dead mega-civilizations, pre-Columbian cities in central United States (namely the Cahokian, because no one knows what happened to them and that gives me some freedom), who participated in huge, showy blood baths ceremonies involving sacrifices to the gods.

I think it's official. I think I went a little insane last year and I'm just now figuring it out. Someone pass the meds. Or a sledgehammer. Either will do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh crap! If anyone can pull it off you can. :)

Mia Watts said...

I think it's the fact that I even "have to pull it off". I finally have ideas about what to write and my editor is interested, so I guess I'll go with it. I'm thinking of removing the twin factor and just making it two guys. Dunno yet.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Um...you lost me at loincloths. Wait, two loincloths. How many shifters?
Unchaste is a very cool title!