Monday, May 11, 2009

RELEASE DATE WHORE

I am one. If there's an open release date dangling in the wind, I'm the one who's going to lob in there and snatch it (pardon the pun). Recently, fabulous and extraordinary publishing house Resplendence gave me a release date choice with other authors. The majority chose the extended date and we were given January 2010.

Being true to myself and ever so professional, I whined. Good natured, I assure you, to the senior editor who had initially presented the dates. She's a friend and laughed, as was intended. However, she also came back with an offer. If I could come up with a short story to fit their Handcuffs and Lace line, they had an opening for me on November 17th this year.

Being true (note paragraph above and first paragraph in reference to my whoredom) I said, "Mine." The next email requested a proposal and a title. Hm. Harder. Yet prevailing on toward the satisfaction of my Jon (the senior editor who wanted to see me paid), come up with a proposal I did. My exact words were:


Um, might kick myself later, but I'm in. I'm going for M/M. I don't have a full proposal yet, but the idea is they are cops... one FBI one local authority (because I like the tension between the two branches) assigned to work together in an undercover operation. One of the guys has to go drag (much hilarity ensues with running jokes and sarcasm and "who's your daddy"). Right now I'm thinking it has to be a suburban drug ring run by housewives (like Weeds but not) and they are staked out in a cookie cutter house (like Stakeout but also not). Did I vague that up enough? Will it fly?

To which she then requested a title. Bugger.

I provided the standard five with mild humor and appeal. I liked Dragged and He's My Girl. Senior editor requested more. By the end of a second list I, in typical form, loaded the list with joke titles. Cocked Up, Cop A Feel, She's Got Balls, and a few more.

On Friday the winning candidate was chosen: She's Got Balls.

I'm so proud. Actually, it's growing on me (pardon the nasty visual) and perfectly suits the story, no? No, it's okay to groan. Just do it all together in chorus... one, two, three....!!

Note to self: "Mia, give senior editor a friendly slap on the ass. You've got to appreciate a publisher with a sense of humor."

3 comments:

Kim Dare said...

Congraulations on the new release, Mia! The idea behind it sounds great - and I love the title :)

Rassles said...

Oh, that's perfect. Or, perhaps, you could just go with Balls! as an homage to my favorite curse word.

Mia Watts said...

A title like Balls! Might suggest that one ought to duck and quickly. Lethal swingers, those. Perhaps cover art might be a pointing finger at a man's genitalia. Though must admit, it's an effective curse word.

Thanx Kim. I would imagine the title will catch some eyes that might not ordinarily stop to read it. I'm hoping for it, anyway.